8 oz each of leeks, potatoes, carrots and onions. 1 oz butter 1 tablesp. chopped parsley 2 pints chicken stock (home made or stock cube) - or water Salt and pepper 1. Trim the leeks and wash thoroughly. Clean and peel the rest of the vegetables and cut into 1 inch chunks.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or wok until it is hot but not brown.
3. Add the vegetables and stir-fry in a fairly high heat until sizzling and golden.
4. Add the salt and pepper - this gives a much more intense flavor than adding seasoning after the liquid - then add the chicken stock or water.
5. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
6. When the vegetables are soft, mash gently with a fork or process quickly in a food processer or liquidizer until all lumps have gone, but the vegetables still have a little texture.
7. If necessary, reheat gently and serve this lovely, creamy soup in bowls with fresh parsley sprinkled on top. Lots of hot French bread or toasted granary bread is perfect with this.